INTERnationalization at Home: Embedding Approaches and Structures to Foster Internationalization at Western Balkans / INTERBA
Action: Capacity Building in Higher Education
Project reference number: 610429-EPP-1-2019-1-AL-EPPKA2-CBHE-JP
Project title: “INTERnationalization at Home: Embedding Approaches and Structures to Foster Internationalization at Western Balkans / INTERBA”
Project acronym: INTERBA
Duration: 3 years (10.02.2020 – 14.11.2022)
THE OBJECTIVES OF THE PROJECT
The objectives of the project include:
- to formulate a coherent and detailed IaH concept that could be mainstreamed into the partner HEIs Roadmaps following on from their specific exigencies.
- to level up the scope and viability of IaH activities implemented in partner HEIs.
- to train expert pool capable of developing and integrating IaH into HEI environment.
- to launch an online platform as a tool for IaH implementation.
- to establish/modernize the existing structure/entities responsible for IaH at HEIs.
The project does not start from the scratch, but it tries to build upon the existing initiatives. During the first year the project tries to conduct an analysis of all previous international projects implemented in each country within the field of internationalization. This will not only produce an overview of mechanisms used to boost internationalization but will also provide a gap analysis which opens the gate to further and systematic improvement. This will allow to formulate a coherent and unified concept of IaH in all countries which will facilitate the understanding and application of the concept in practical terms. An online platform will be launched for all partners to support the e-learning process, to monitor the training and translation of documents.
THE AIM OF THE PROJECT
Internationalization of HEIs in the Balkan region so far has given a significant effect in modernizing the curriculum and exposure to different teaching and learning methodologies providing a better understanding on the role of education in XXI century. However, because the number of students and staff involved in these projects was limited, the impact has been asymmetric where some departments have reaped the benefits of these projects more than others. Thus, approaching internationalization on a more holistic way, by embedding and strengthening “internationalization at home”, is vital. The aim of the project is to strengthen international, intercultural and global dimension via Internalization at Home (IaH) implementation at partner HEIs in order to enhance the quality of education and to make a meaningful contribution to the society
PROJECT COORDINATOR AND PROJECT PARTNERS
1. University of Tirana, Albania, Project Coordinator
2. Middlesex University, United Kingdom
3. Hamburg University of Technology, Germany
4. University of Cagliari, Italy
5. European Centre of Studies and Initiatives, Italy
6. European University of Tirana (UET), Albania
7. Universum College, Kosovo
8. University of Prishtina, Kosovo
9. University of Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina
10. Dzemal Bijedic University of Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina